Losing Weight for Frugality's Sake

Monday, June 18, 2007

I am overweight. I'll be the first to admit it. It doesn't exceptionally bother me right now. It bothered me a lot when I was in that teenager awkward stage. I tried all sorts of stuff, and I used to stare at myself naked and just wonder why I was cursed. At the time I tried everything - cutting calories, excersizing like a crazy person (I hear they excersize a lot, them crazy people) and even comming close to being boderline anorexic.

Well, needless to say, it didn't work. I'm a reasonably healthy person. I eat well and excersize enough. However, I still find myself "obese".

While I was on vacation this year, I did a large amount of stairs. (Think 400+ a day - those old churches are taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall!). Since i've been home, i've noticed that my knees are crunching. Yep, crunching. Not when i'm walking, but when i'm doing stairs. It's that kind of bone-crunching, joint-grinding crunchiness. It's a little bit worriesome. I know that it's correlated to my weight. There's no other reason, really.

Last week I was at work thinking about all this, I wondered to myself "Is it weird that I want to lose weight to save money, rather than to get healthy?"

Well, is it?

The thought of having to pay for a knee-replacement surgery or arthritis medicine makes me feel sick. Even though I have Health Care and it would be covered, I hate the idea of paying for it!

I think that makes me really weird - I care about finances just as much, if not more than health. Hmmmm. My priorities may, in fact, be a little but crooked.

Either way, for whatever goal, loosing weight/getting healthier is on the books. I think this fits in quite nicely with some of my other goals, including spending less on fast food by bringing food from home.

Hope you all are keeping well, I love reading all your journals!

2 comments:

krystalatwork said...

It's not weird to want to lose weight to save money, but it shouldn't be the only reason why you want to lose weight.

It can definitely be the deciding factor to want to change your lifestyle and lose weight. But once you lose the weight that you want, are you going to stop saving money because you've achieved your goal? It's a hard question, because you really don't know until the time comes.

It's a great goal to want to be healthy both physically and financially!

Leanna said...

Thanks for the comment! I think i'll still be frugal when I lose weight. It's not the number 1 reason I am frugal, it's simply an add on. I've always been a hoarder, especially when it comes to money. Something to think about, though.