Slacker!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

I feel like a slacker! I haven't posted in 8 days! Yeesh, i'd better get my act together.

This past week has not been a frugal one. I don't even want to think about the money I've spend. Why is it that you always have that one friend who you seem to just spend money with. I have that friend. She's the one in a lot of debt. Yep. I'm not in debt, but, if I were to spend a large amount of time with her I may just end up in debt.

We spent the whole weekend together, and a couple days since then. Friday her and I went shopping ($30 - laptop bag, $2.50 - mini donuts, $12.50 - shirt). We took a mini road trip on saturday to pick up a gift certificate from a fancy restaurant just outside of the city ($50 - gift certificate, $17- breakfast, $15 - dinner, $32 - gas and late night snacks) with a friend of ours. Sunday I slept in until 1:15 p.m. (yes, you read that right, i'm still not sure how it happened) and then went to the market with her to pick up some veggies ($3.50 - lunch) and then just watched a movie at her house. Yesterday she called and asked if I wanted to go out for lunch with her (we both work downtown) and I agreed ($10 - lunch).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I had a great weekend, but I spent a lot more money with her than I would have if I had been sitting at home on my bum all weekend. The only good part - money-wise - is that her and I spend last night at her father's home. He's getting remarried and getting rid of a lot of kitchen things (I looooove kitchen things) and I was able to get some. I ended up with a box of IKEA dishes (big plates, little plates, bowls and a platter and jug) which I may or may not keep. I'll keep them around for a bit and if I change my mind I may just donate them. (I'm not sure if it's worth hauling cheap dishes around for however many years it will be until I move out). But, on top of that, I got a really good quality bread knife, and a nice matching set of spatulas - those i'll be able to use right away.

I watch a lot of HGTV (for those of you not in Canada, it's our home decoration, interior design, handyman show) and I dream about how I will decorate my future home. I'd love to have the money to buy a nice, old, sturdy, well-built home and redesign the whole thing. I collect images and paint chips and magasine clippings of things and colors that inspire me. Mmmm dreaming.

Either way, all my reckless spending put a bit of a knock in the budget. I put more money on my VISA than I had in my chequing account and I had to take some money out of my emergency fund (bad, I know!). But, I got paid yesterday and that money is back in the fund. Yeesh. So, this paycheque, i've left in it's entirety in my chequing account to decide what I need to do with it.

Another bump in my budget is that my computer is about thisclose to dying. I'm working right now to get all the important files off of it and onto CD's and external storage because I have a feeling that one day I will try to turn on my computer and it will just explode. Not a good sign.

I've been looking around for a laptop and am confident that I will be able to find one for less than $800. I was looking at the Dell website (I am a girl of habit and like to stick with what I got) but nothing really jumped out at me. So this weekend I am going to drag my dad over to future shop and see what they have over there. I'd love to get the new sony laptop (the itty bitty tiny one - I love the portability of it, and I was planning to getting a large, flat, widescreen to mount on my wall for movie-watching), but i'm not paying $2,500.00 for it. Boo on that.

So, with a new laptop purchase in the works, I'm looking at this paycheque and maybe a bit of next month's paycheque to cover that. I was hoping to hold off until the fall to make that purchase, but it doesn't look like it will work out. Oh well.

Well, that's pretty much all the updating I have for you today. Hopefully you are all well!

0 comments: