RSP's and 38 million dollars

Friday, April 6, 2007

So, up here in Canada we had a &38 million dollar lottery wednesday night. I did what I usually don't do and bought some lottery tickets. I didn't win. Boo. Oh well. I'm not terribly disapointed since I never truly believe that I am going to win, however, it is nice to dream once in a while.

I got my taxes back yesterday. This year I actually didn't do anything wrong! Usually I forget to adjust something minor and it usually results in an extra $10 bucks or so. This year I was right on the money. I also discovered that I can deposit $6,000 some-odd dollars into an RSP this year. I've gotten notices like these ever since I started doing my taxes a couple of years back- but I never really gave it much thought. I think this year may be the year to open one up. I'll actually be making a decent amount of money this year - so I would be able to swing it. I'll have to re-work my budget, though, which is alright since it's not set in stone anyways because I haven't gotten my pay schedule all sorted out.

My new job (from what the other guy told me) pays pretty odd. I get paid on the 15th of every month and then the 3rd last friday. So basically I have one huge paycheque - tallying up about 25 days or so, then another tiny one that barely covers 5. It's strange, but I'll deal with it if that's the way it has to be.

I have to fill out some tax forms for the school too. Because i'm doing my work term, the school pays me and then my company reimburses the school. Because of that I have to fill out a couple of forms - TD1's, I think they're called - to determine how much (if any) taxes I want taken off. It's a horribly confusing form so I may just wing it and see how much taxes come off - I get them all back anyways since I have so much tuition banked from previous years. $11,000 provincial and $18,000 federal, to be exact. I don't quite know what the whole 'banking' thing is, so this year's taxes may have to be done by a professional who knows what they are talking about.

I get some weird pride in doing my own taxes, though. It's a strange accomplishment for me knowing that I'm doing them myself and I don't have to pay anyone else to do them for me. My friends always seem shocked when I tell them I do them myself. Mine really aren't that hard - income, tuition, total. That's about it. I don't have dependents or rental properties or anything, really. I'm sure when my life gets more complicated i'll seek out a tax-return professional. Until then i'm keeping that extra $20 bucks and spending it somewhere fun.

Until tomorrow, keep saving!

1 comments:

Chance said...

Congrats on getting the taxes together and out the door! You're ahead of the game...keep saving.